Robert Bellamy Clifton
Clifton was educated at University College, London and St Johns College, Cambridge where he studied under Sir George Stokes. In 1860 he went to Owens College, Manchester as Professor of Natural Philosophy. In 1865 he was appointed Professor of experimental Natural Philosophy at Oxford University. While at Oxford he designed Clarendon Laboratory and gave research space to Charles Vernon Boys. On 04/06/1868 he became a fellow of the Royal Society. He was president of the Physical Society (now Institute of Physics) from 1882 until 1884. Clifton retired from Oxford in 1915.