Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy

View transcription
                                of the journeyman were four pins which, as the wheel revolved, pressed the
two springs together, thus completing the circuit (in that part) at
every 15<sup>s</sup> of the journeyman's time.
20. The battery was the ordinary lead battery, of 24 cells.
The batteries and journeyman were in the side-room of the upper station.
<s>21</s>  The wire from one end of the battery was led to one terminal of the
journeyman. From the other terminal of the journeyman
a wire was led to the <s>contact</s> circuit breaker <s>[?] clock</s>
in connexion with the galvanometer of the upper clock.
From the other terminal of the galvanometer a wire was
led down the mine-shaft to the <s>contact</s> circuit breaker in
connexion with the galvanometer of the lower clock.
From the other terminal of this lower galvanometer a wire was
led up the mine shaft to the other pole of the
battery. Thus when both the upper and the
lower <s>contact</s>circuit breakers completed contact (and
at no other times) the journeyman-clock made
the circuit complete and sent a current through
both the galvanometers at every 15<sup>s</sup> of the journeyman's
time.
to page 20 [The graduated wires for measuring the extent of vibration
were divided to inches with continuous numeration from one
end, and were placed behind the pendulum tails.
The thermometers (two for each pendulum) were suspended in
front, at about 1/4 and 3/4 the distances from the knife-edge to the bob. Their
indications were found to be all visibly accordant;]
                            
Please login to transcribe

Manuscript details

Author
George Biddell Airy
Reference
PT/54/5
Series
PT
Date
1855
IIIF
Open IIIF manifest
(What's this?)
This is a link to the IIIF web URL for this item. You can drag and drop the IIIF image link into other compatible viewers

Cite as

Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy, 1855. From The Royal Society, PT/54/5

Copy

Comments

Please login to comment