Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy

View transcription
                                led to a gas-stove in the anteroom, and also to a
writing-lamp. In order to make the support of
the pendulum firm, the soft earth was removed
to the depth of 3 feet (at which <s>[?]</s> level the hard
clay was reached which extends about 90 feet
<s>deeper</s> lower to the first bed of rock), and the cavity
was filled with ashlar stones united with mortar
at the joints, the surface was paved level with
flagstones and bricks.
<s>13</s> 12. In the lower station, some upright stones which had
been placed in the space assigned for the pendulum
soon were removed, and inclined rafters were
substituted. The rock was cut <s>nearly</s> level, and
the bricks and flagstones were laid immediately
on it. Brick walls were built inclosing a
trapezoidal room nearly representing a space of 16
feet, with an anteroom, and a third room; and
level ceilings were constructed above them.
<s>14t</s>13. For the galvanic communication between the two
stations, two wires covered with gutta percha were
                            
Please login to transcribe

Manuscript details

Author
George Biddell Airy
Reference
PT/54/5
Series
PT
Date
1855
IIIF
Open IIIF manifest
(What's this?)
This is a link to the IIIF web URL for this item. You can drag and drop the IIIF image link into other compatible viewers

Cite as

Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy, 1855. From The Royal Society, PT/54/5

Copy

Comments

Please login to comment