Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy

View transcription
                                led underground from the stable to the mouth of the
pit; and were then carried down to the bottom of the
pit, being supported in the following manner. The
shaft is divided from top to bottom by a wooden
partition or brattice. At every 100 feet in the
descent, a wooden peg about 6 inches long and
2 inches in diameter was fixed in the <s>brattice</s>
brattice. The galvanic wires were wrapped
around this peg, and more pinched fast by a piece
of wood which was screwed to the peg. In this
manner the wires were held perfectly steady,
and no part was strained by an excessive weight
hanging upon them. On reaching the bottom of the
<s>shaft</s> shaft, the<s>y</s> wires were carried horizontally along
along the top of the galleries, protected by boards of
wood, till they entered the lower station. The
labour of Telegraph Engineers, which was required
for fixing these wires and for other adjustments of
the galvanic apparatus, was contributed gratuitously
by the Electric Telegraph Company; the work being
done under the direction of their resident agent at Newcastle,
Mr. Mathews.
                            
Please login to transcribe

Manuscript details

Author
George Biddell Airy
Reference
PT/54/5
Series
PT
Date
1855
IIIF
Open IIIF manifest
(What's this?)
This is a link to the IIIF web URL for this item. You can drag and drop the IIIF image link into other compatible viewers

Cite as

Account of pendulum experiments undertaken in the Harton Colliery, for the purpose of determining the mean density of the earth, by G. B. Airy, 1855. From The Royal Society, PT/54/5

Copy

Comments

Please login to comment